A damp and wet basement is a bigger health hazard than most people realize. Some people ignore the musty smell and the humidity in the air, when they really should not. If left in that state, the walls, floor, foundation, and property in there shall get destroyed. You need to be more worried about the mold and mildew growth that will ensue.
If your family keeps breathing in the mold spores, they shall develop respiratory issues, headaches, allergic reactions, asthma, and even cancer. The mold may be invisible, but that is not a sign you are safe as long as the basement is damp. You get to be sure only after hiring a professional mold inspection and removal service.
You can tell of mold presence when you see a green, brown, gray, or white splotches on the surfaces and items in the basement. Other signs include a musty odor, water damage signs like water stains or peeling wallpapers, water leaks from pipes or the outside, recent flooding in the basement, and an increase in symptoms like coughing, sneezing, and headaches after being in the basement. You should therefore not hesitate in calling in the professional for mold testing. You will get options once the test is done. You would rather not find any than assume there is none in there.
Mold testing will detect their presence, as well as point out how extensive their spread is, the regions it is thriving the most, and the type of mold present. They will look all over the house and take amples They shall also collect some of the air to test for spores. They shall also collect the air samples in other areas of the house. Those samples shall be taken to the lab for inspection. This is how they shall generate a report of the issues you are going through.
Should they detect the presence of mold, they shall proceed to offer the mold removal services. They get to offer that service fast before things get out of hand. The first thing they do is seal off the contaminated areas. They will then spray the visible mold, vacuum it up, apply antimicrobial and antifungal agents on the surfaces, and purify the air. If they find items that are too contaminated, they will have to get rid of them.
There is a need for the mold in there to be removed as soon as possible. There is a need to put preventative measures in place, so that it does not happen again. You thus need to keep the basement moisture free, and the house as well ventilated as possible. If you see any signs of mold in there, call in the professionals. You need to do so for the sake of your house.